Our learning and development covers in-house training, online courses, college courses, external trainers, coaching - a whole variety of things - designed with one purpose - to give you the right skills, confidence and support to really achieve your potential. In addition, the council's MiPod site is full of useful, interesting and creative information and links to challenge, motivate and resource you to become the best you can be.
Transport and travel
Transport services are experienced, qualified professionals responsible for the servicing, MOT, maintenance and general upkeep of the council's fleet. As an additional service they offer a range of services including full MOTs and servicing, maintenance, fault finding, diagnostics and repairs to Kirklees Council employees and their families at competitive rates.
Council employees are eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). When most people first start working, a retirement pension is one of the last things they think about. As you get older and take on more responsibilities, you may begin to wonder how you will manage when you come to retire or what would happen to your family if anything happened to you. Benefits include:
Financial support and Pensions
Discounted daily parking is available if a quarterly or annual season ticket is purchased.
- Guaranteed pension for life that goes up every year in line with the cost of living
- You can give up part of your pension for a tax free lump sum
- You can get a pension at any age if you become too ill to work
- You can retire from age 55 if you're made redundant or your employer consents
- You can retire from age 55 on reduced benefits
- If you die, there is a lump sum death grant of at least three times your pay and also pensions for your spouse, civil partner, nominated cohabiting partner or eligible children
- You can pay extra to increase your pension benefits
For further details on the pension scheme visit www.wypf.org.uk
or telephone 01274 434999. Alternatively contact the pensions team at Kirklees by telephoning 01484 221000 and ask for pensions.
The council meets the loss of the first years no claims bonus of employees involved in accidents or damage to their vehicles whilst on official council business and in receipt of an official council mileage allowance.
The council insures employees in the case of a personal accident and/or assault whilst carrying out council duties.
Annual Metrocard discount scheme for council employees
- Save over £150 on your commuting, leisure and business journeys
- Get 20% discounts on the cost of Annual Metrocard (15% of this discount is paid by metro and 5% by the council)
- Interest-free payments via salary/wage deductions
- Spread payments throughout the year
- Unlimited travel on bus services throughout West Yorkshire
- Unlimited travel on train services within your chosen zone
- No administration fee