Tree surgeons and consultants
What a tree surgeon is
A tree surgeon is an arboricultural contractor, sometimes known as an arborist. They specialise in tree pruning or felling.
They provide these main services:
- Act as an agent - checking to see if your trees are protected and making tree work applications on your behalf.
- Carry out pruning and felling of trees.
- Carry out stump removal or kill stumps.
- Carry out tree planting.
What arboriculture is
Arboriculture is the cultivation, care and management of individual trees, groups of trees and woodland primarily for their visual amenity - as opposed to timber production.
What an arboricultural consultant does
Normally qualified to a higher level than contractors, the consultant will provide impartial advice on the condition of the tree, prepare specifications for tree management, represent you in any legal proceedings and liaise with other professionals where necessary.
Where to find a tree surgeon or consultant
- Look in the Yellow Pages under the heading 'tree work'
- Contact the one you like the look of and ask them to come and give you a quote.
- It is always advisable to obtain 2 or 3 quotes as they may vary considerably.
- Tree contractors do not normally charge for the initial visit, consultants may.
- Choosing a tree work contractor
Employing people who put leaflets or flyers advertising tree works through the post
- Under no circumstances employ door knockers, and ignore leaflets and flyers advertising tree work.
- Itinerant tree work contractors are unlikely to have had any formal training and will have little knowledge of tree physiology or the law pertaining to trees.
- They often have no business address and operate from a mobile phone.
Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs), trees in conservation areas and tree work applications
To speak to an officer you must make an appointment. To make an appointment please contact Kirklees Direct on 01484 414746 or email email@example.com.
Computers are available in Huddersfield Customer Service Centre: opening times 9-5 Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 10-5 on Thursdays.
Report trees causing an obstruction on pavements and footpaths, or obscuring street lighting
Find out who owns trees
Trees owned by the council
- Streetscene & Housing, Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
- 01484 234031